(Matthew 5:17-30, Matthew 7:13-27, Matthew 8:11-12, Matthew 22:9-14, Matthew 11:21-25, Luke 8:18, Matthew 20:26)
This has been an established truth since the time human beings began to multiply on the earth, to Noah’s time, to the disciples’ time and till now.
However, today’s Christians make it look like many are called and MANY chosen.
1) Grace and unconditional mercy, not judgment: The Lord does not grant grace as a license to sin, He gives grace as the power to sin no more. He gives it to us to overcome our sinful nature.
Likewise, Christ’s unconditional mercy is not to boast with the nature of sin or continue to enjoy the pleasure sin gives. It is to provide us with the chance for repentance.
John 3:15-19 KJV
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
2) Ransom paid: They claim that since Jesus paid the price, God will no more be angry with sinners or punish them for sins committed. Let us see what Romans 1:18 KJV says, “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness”. So, our Lord Jesus paid the ransom for our redemption. He did not pay the ransom to stop God’s judgment for unconfessed sins or on unrepentant hearts.
3) Automatic forgiveness guaranteed: No, before we can be forgiven we must confess the sin and repent from it. Moreso, confession alone will not bring forgiveness without forsaking the sins.
1John 1:8-9 KJV
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Mark 4:20 KJV
And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.
4) God is love, so cannot deny Himself: They tell others that God can no more hate sinners because we have been giving Christ’s righteousness. Christ’s righteousness is only on someone who genuinely repents from sin as no human righteousness can be holy enough before the triple holy God. It does not work for the impenitent sinner.
1John 1:6 KJV
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth
5) Liberty: They think that if you long for or practice self-control then you are legalist, meaning that you rubbish Christ’s sacrifice and grace. The Bible answers this many time, telling us to put our desires in check with the help of the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 5:23 KJV
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Here temperance is another word for self-control. Let us see how another version puts it.
Galatians 5:23 ISV gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things.
Let us see what Jesus preached
(1) Many are called but few are chosen
(2) Entering the kingdom of God requires diligent and thorough preparation not carefree or careless lifestyle (Matthew 25)
(3) No mercy or any consideration at judgment time (Luke 13:1-5)
(4) The Gospel theme is “repent the kingdom of God is at hand” (Matthew 10:7)
(5) Repentance requires urgency
So, we should evaluate ourselves in the light of God’s word to know “where we stand in our generation”. We should not study God’s word only to soothe ourselves but we should study it to evaluate, rebuke and reprove ourselves. By so doing, we will be standing with Christ (and for Christ) and not against Christ (for the world).
1) Lord Jesus, I thank You because You are the Truth, the Way and the Life.
2) God the Holy Spirit, speak Your truth into my life, make me live in Your truth and bear good/enduring fruits from the truth, in Jesus name.
3) Lord, make my life resistant to the lies, deceit and hypocrisy of my generation, in Jesus name (Matthew 16:6)
4) Lord Jesus, I need more grace to stand for Your truth and be a witness to Your truth everywhere unwaveringly.
5) Lord, open the eyes of my heart, that I may fix my gaze on the truth of the Gospel, in Jesus name.
6) Father, give me the grace to speak Your truth without pride and self-justification, and without judging or condemning others, in Jesus name.