(James 5:16b, Matthew 14:23, Luke 6:12, Luke 11:1)
Prayer is a communication with God. It is a form of worship before our God. Because we cannot see God (as the Person we are talking with/to), most times, seems to be one of the reasons we are less serious with our prayer life (Hebrews 11:6). Imagine how odd it could be, avoiding communication with your loved ones or speaking illogically before them. Again, because praying to our God is a simple task which is not complex i.e. it does not seem to place a logical and systematic demand on us.
At times we feel as if we are talking alone because it is difficult for us to believe that we are praying to Someone who is so serious about our prayers. Whenever you speak to God, He also pays attention to You. We are praying- talking with the Almighty. We are praying to One who is listening to us. Our prayer is not a recorded conversation like voice-mail which will be played when God has the time. No! As we are speaking it, He is listening. If we are spiritually sensitive enough, we will know that He does not only listen but He also talk with us where and when necessary in the prayer session. Please, it is worth knowing that carelessness in prayer is not about how noisy or calm the prayer is.
Some people may cry about the problem of their life when thinking about it but when it gets to praying about it their eyes will be so dry like nothing is at stake. Despite our tight schedule we can take more than necessary time to do one or two things maybe to eat or exercise. However, when it is time for prayer we will always remind ourselves that “no enough time”.
At times, one might pray 3 hours long prayers which has a weight that is not up to a 5 minutes prayer. It is not necessary to allocate long hours for prayer when we keep checking the time. It is worthless! If we allocate 5 minutes to a prayer session and we are so serious about it, it will surely and automatically develop beyond that short time. If we are serious with it, we will see ourselves deliberately rescheduling from 5 minutes to longer time. Consciously, then we would have out-grown a 5 minute-prayer session Christian lives.
Some people believe only on already prepared daily capsules of prayers other than the flood of prayer rushing out of a heart travailing in prayers. We take our prayers as capsule daily, swallowed with a cup of grace as water. Whereas we will do better with a prayer life like that of our Lord Jesus which was so wonderful that the disciples longed to copy it (Luke 11:2).
Carelessness in prayer is when our discussions with friends and families are more genuine than our talking with our Lord in prayer. We can spend the whole day in discussion with another human being like us (and not on meaningful thing) but only use a “slice” of the time talking to the Lord.
Please beloved, we must be champions in prayers. As a sword in the hand of a raging warrior so should the word of God be in our mouths in prayers (2 Samuel 23:8-10).
Please, let us consider the following:
1) Our first “cure” for this carelessness is found in the first line of our Lord’s prayer, which reads, “our Father which is in heaven HALLOW (REVERENCE) BE TO YOUR NAME”. Everytime we go to our God in prayers let us do as to the One we reverence I. e. One will respect and honour with an holy fear. Prayer is a worship before the Lord who we reverence (who we respect and honour with an holy fear).
2) Prayer is a battle. No one will ever joke on a battle ground. Our prayer is not a battle strategy BUT IT IS THE BATTLE ITSELF WHICH NEEDS SERIOUS BATTLE STRATEGIES. Our enemies the devil and his agents are not jokers. So also, we cannot afford to be careless in battle with an enemy which is actually looking for a careless opponent to destroy.
Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices (Corinthians 2:11).
If we are serious with this, then without doubt our God is also serious with it.
He disappointeth the devices of the crafty, so that their hands cannot perform their enterprise. He taketh the wise in their own craftiness: and the counsel of the froward is carried headlong. They meet with darkness in the daytime, and grope in the noonday as in the night (Job 5:12-14)
3) Prayer is more than physical. Please permit to say it is spiritual and weu
23, But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24, God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
4) … without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him (Hebrews 11:6). Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them ( Mark 11:24). But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.( James 1:6-7)
Prayer is a battle. It is a talk with the Almighty. It is our lifeline. Hence we cannot afford to be careless with it.
May the grace to worship faithfully, to fight and win valiantly in prayers be released on us in Jesus mighty name.
1) Lord Jesus, give me a heart and life of prayers.
2) All blessings the enemies have for long denied me, Holy Spirit release them to me now, in Jesus mighty name.
3) Holy Spirit ambush the wicked that gather or agree against me, consume them and their deeds, in Jesus name.
4) Holy Spirit, help me to effectively use the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God (Ephesians 6:7, Hebrews 4:12).
5) Holy Spirit, make me an authority and champion in prayers.